Monday, June 7, 2010

a thousand books: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling


My rating: 5 of 5 stars






I was in middle school when the first Harry Potter book was published. My paranoid and overly conservative parents ordered that I shouldn't read them. I started the first one in sixth grade, but put it aside. I picked it up again as an eighth grader, read it in a day, and I've been hooked ever since.

There's really not a point in writing a summary of the plot. Everyone is familiar with the concept- the eleven-year-old hero finds out he's a wizard, goes off to magical boarding school, and finds himself embroiled in a war that he didn't know he was involved in. It's such a simple concept, and yet it has exploded in a fiery burst of awesomeness.

Rowling has created a whole new world- and most importantly, a believable world. Nearly everyone who has read her books has wished at some point or another that they could go to Hogwarts. Her characters seem so vividly real, and her pacing is incredible. I dare anyone to read this book and not get hooked.

(Case in point- my husband picked up Sorcerer's Stone for the first time on a whim just a week ago. By the end of the week he was already on Chamber of Secrets. He's hooked, and I'm excited.)

Five books down, 995 to go.

View all my reviews >>
blog comments powered by Disqus