Tuesday, June 1, 2010

a thousand books: The Illyrian Adventure

The Illyrian AdventureThe Illyrian Adventure by Lloyd Alexander


My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I first read this book when I was about ten or eleven and just fell head over heels in love with the whole series. I devoured them all, although I only own the first two.

Basically, the star of the book, Vesper Holly, is what it would be like if Sherlock Holmes and Indiana Jones had a redheaded love child. She's a brash Yankee adventurer in the 19th century who has a penchant for globetrotting and strange adventures. The series is narrated by her Watsonesque guardian Brinton "Brinnie" Garrett, who is a prim and proper sort of man who nevertheless accompanies his teenage ward on all of her quests. The Illyrian Adventure, the first in the series, sends them to the Romania-reminiscent country of Illyria, where a centuries-old feud and a mythical folk hero wreak havoc.

Alexander is an amazing writer, and I'm glad that I still enjoy this book as much as I did as a child. The writing is brisk and breezy, and makes for an effortlessly enjoyable read.

Read June 1, 2010, in under an hour

Two books down, 998 to go.
blog comments powered by Disqus